Our ‘Vegan/Vegetarian Mediterranean Recipes for Winter’ Edition
IV. Melomakarona – Greek Christmas Cookies no sugar version
No holiday season can go without these soft delicious Greek Christmas cookies that literally melt in your mouth. What makes these traditional sweets so unique? First of all, they are soaked in rich Greek honey syrup which is considered the best in the world. Secondly, they are topped with crushed walnuts which gives them a yummy crunchy texture. Lastly, when you serve them your entire home will be redolent with a lovely orange and cinnamon scent. Our version contains no refined sugar, only maple syrup.
It’s a sure bet that melomakarona will be your new favourite soft cookies during this festive season.
Refined sugar free Melomakarona
Super easy winter holiday cookie recipe from Greece that will warm you up in the cold winter days, when you are already dreaming of your next summer holiday on the Greek islands. We used maple syrup instead of refined sugar in this recipe to make sure you eat healthy. These delicious cookies from Greece will also make a great Christmas gift idea for you friends and family.
For the dough
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Cognac
- 1/4 Cup freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 1 Cup Almond Meal
- 1 Cup Cornstarch
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- pinch of Clove
- pinch of Nutmeg
For the syrup
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 3/4 teaspoons Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.Put the olive oil, cognac, orange juice, maple syrup and zest into a large bowl and lightly whisk together.
- In another bowl, sift/whisk together the almond meal, cornstarch, coconut flour, the pinch of clove, the pinch of nutmeg, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 lots, mixing well with each addition. After all the dry has been added the dough should be sticky but firm enough to form balls.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes. Take 1 tablespoon of dough and form into an oval shape and place on the lined tray. Repeat with the remaining dough (will make approximately 12 cookies).
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely on the tray.
- Once the cookies have cooled; place the honey and water in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium/high heat. Reduce to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has thickened slightly (you don't want it too thick). Use immediately.
- Using a slotted spoon, take 1 cookie at a time and drop it in the syrup, flipping it to make sure it is evenly coated. Use the slotted spoon to allow the excess syrup to drip back into the saucepan. Place on baking paper and top with walnuts and lightly dust with cinnamon. These cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.